Museums And Heritage

Rhenish Mission Church Most of the early missionary buildings were constructed…

MOTH Museum Address: Theo-Ben Gurirab, Walvis Bay, Namibia Phone: +264 81 129 5931

Woermann House, was completed in 1905. The tower was named ”Damara Tower” from where observers used to look for ships in the ocean and ox wagons in the desert.

The Swakopmund Museum was founded in 1951 by dentist Dr. Alfons Weber. It is the largest privately run museum in Namibia.

Walvis Bay Museum  Since its inception the museum functioned mainly as a display centre with no full time curators at hand.

The Hohenzollernhaus is a monument and a symbol of the city of Swakopmund in Namibia. The building was built in the years 1904-1906 in the historical style of the Neo-Baroque, initially for the use as a hotel. The “Hohenzollern Hotel” was for a long time under suspicion a secret brothel to lead, for which there were however never concrete indications.Address: Albertina Amathila Ave, Swakopmund, Namibia Phone: +264 81 834 1409

The Keetmanshoop Museum is housed in the old Rhenish Mission Church in Keetmanshoop,, but in addition to religious memorabilia contains a display about Nama history and culture with a detailed display of local plants and their traditional uses by the Nama community. The garden around the museum contains several of the plants that feature in the exhibition and a scale model of a traditional Nama hut

The Alte Feste is a fortress and museum in downtown Windhoek, the capital of Namibia. The building was designed by captain Curt von François to serve as headquarters of the imperial German Schutztruppe (colonial military force) during German colonization of South West Africa. The location of Windhoek, which was deserted and completely destroyed at that time, was chosen because the Germans felt it would serve as a buffer zone between the Nama and Herero tribes.

Comments are closed.